Monday, May 17, 2010

Man On the Silver Mountain - RIP Ronnie James Dio.


Me clearly remembers when me was a wee lad & Mobil petrol stations were having a promo. Fer every RM10 of fuel pumped ye got a sticker & once ye had ten stickers, ye got to choose a free cassette. One time me dad let me choose & even though me was just 10 years old, me hand randomly pointed towards the gold cover of Rainbow's Long Live Rock n Roll. Suffice to say, me ears were too tender fer the ruckus & the tape was consigned to the drawer of forgotten relics.

But me curiosity was awakened again when later on, me kept hearing Rainbow tunes on the nightly FM radio programmes such as Pilihan Anda. (Yes, in the Dark Ages prior to the world wide web, us folks had to rely on local radio fer entertainment!). Soon that tape was dug out & the slow journey towards metaldom had begun.

Any long hair worth his or her salt will always have a soft spot fer Ronnie James Dio. In fact, many, like meself, would have had their first forays into heavy rock thanks to the many classics he penned - Temple of the King (Rainbow), Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath) &, of course, Holy Diver (Dio).

Sadly, Dio succumbed to stomach cancer yesterday. He was 67.

To read more, please click here: http://themalaysianinsider.com/showbiz/article/heavy-metal-veteran-ronnie-james-dio-dies/

12 comments:

Tinesh said...

Damn, another one bit the dust. RIP Dio

anfield devotee said...

So sudden as well.

Wass just blasting sabbath's live evil in remembrance . . .

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

RIP Ronnie James Dio.

Temple of the King - A mandatory selection every time I hit the karaoke joint.

Anba said...

It's been a very long time since i last accessed youtube..i cant access youtube,Fb and etc at work place...
and last saturday when i had the chance ... strangely i wnated to see dio music video's last in..we rock line...arainbow's kill the king...
And now i come to know that the great man had passed away..
I was exactly 14 when i heard first Dio.. i bought it with my birthday angpau... althought the album that i bought was acompliataion( Diamond: the best of Dio...
it was a very good...
tho i moved on to other forms of music...
Still respect the man and his music...
We rock...b'coz of you mr Dio..RIP

sti

anfield devotee said...

anba: well said.

kerp: karaoke eh? Holy diver as well?

Achilles said...

AD: As yer know me is a HUGE fan of Dio. Me is quite devastated with the news.

But one thing me can take pride in, is me saw the man live in S'pore. Fooking awesome. I'm sure everyone has heard how Dio is short and small sized but when he is on stage he truly captivates everyone...he is like a giant on stage.

RIP Dio...

anfield devotee said...

achilles: Lucky you.

Unknown said...

I've never really liked DIO but the man's a legend. had newfound respect for him after watching the interview on the Headbangers Journey doc

Achilles said...

Premo: New found respect because he kept making fun of Gene Simmons? hehehehehehe.

anfield devotee said...

Oh really premo. Why? Too old school?

Unknown said...

No ler. I had midget phobia lolz.

kevo said...

not a rock fan at all sadly but i proudly say i have 3 of DIO's albums and will stop there. the first time i heard them was way back (victoria, pertama complex brudder) i thought what crazy pipes this ronnie james fler had. even me friendly neighbourhood burger man (dato shake his name was) had it blaring on his recorder nightly. introduced to a video of one of their concerts and was immediately hooked on their great talent. RIP RJD